4 miles W and 2 miles S of Jct. of ND 35 and County Rd 15,
Whitman, ND 58259
N48° 16.882′ W98° 12.630′
Saint Catherine Church, Lomice was established on Jul 17, 1934 by Joseph Vitek (1886-1949) anThe church is a one and one-half story late Gothic Revival style building constructed in the years 1936-1938 on land settled by Czech immigrants. The building is constructed of randomly coursed granite fieldstone. The design of the grounds containing one large grotto and three small grottos, complements this Roman Catholic parochial church building by regional architect Joseph Bell DeRemer of Grand Forks.
These trails were used by the Metis for trade routes in the mid to late 1800s. The trails originally stayed closed to the banks of the Red River, which could only be used when the ground was dry. But with the new improved carts built by the Metis the primary trails were moved out of the Red River Valley onto the beach ridges of ancient Lake Agassiz, where the soil was sandy and less muddy. These trails were connected to a complete Metis trade route stretching from Winnipeg to St. Paul, Minnesota.
Most of the cart trails have long vanished, having been cultivated for many years, but a few remain. The Ridge Trail Historic District in Pembina and Walsh counties was set up to preserve these remnants of the historic oxcart trail.
St. Catherine’s Catholic Church
St. Catherine’s Church
St. Catherine Church
The Cemetery is located about 70 miles NW of Grand Forks ND. Take the I29 north about 22 miles and exit at the Warsaw/Minto exit. Go west on County Road 15 about 60 miles and exit left at the sign on Country Road 22 about 1 miles and turn left again at the church sign. Proceed mile with the Saint Catherine Church on the right on a high point of land.